Saturday, May 8, 2010

"A weed is but an unloved flower."

-Title quote by Ella Wheeler Wilcox.

I was recently invited by Roxana of Illuminated Perfume to participate in a blogging event called "May Flowers". (You can see the image + link in the sidebar of my blog also!)

Or click here to see the posts already this month;
http://journal.illuminatedperfume.com/2010/04/may-flowers.html

And today is my day, so here goes :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that the event is called "May Flowers", but it occurred to me that the "flowers" I usually end up photographing are not really flowers at all. A lot of them are little weeds!

I'm not really sure why I am so drawn to these weeds... but a lot of them are surprisingly pretty. The ones I really like are the teeny tiny ones. I shoot them in macro and (try to) capture interesting angles.

This is kind of my philosophy on photography (and art in general, really). Anybody can take a photo of something "pretty", but I think it's much more interesting to take something conventionally thought as "ugly" and make it seem beautiful.

I always end up photographing the things that other people would probably just pass by, never giving a second glance. It's funny when I go out to take photos, people always say, "What are you taking pictures of?" I probably look like an idiot kneeling down on the ground a few inches away from some weedy thing. But I just smile and say, Oh, I take pictures of everything!

It's also very satisfying when I show the photos to others and they ask what it is. When I reply that it is a tiny weed they are pretty surprised ;)

This is also actually probably my philosophy on life. People always pass by the little things and never notice them. (People also pass by other people and never notice them.) I don't know, (and this is a stretch) but it could be like I am liberating these weeds, and I always kind of felt unnoticed, so I'm just helping them out. Sharing the love :)

And as I was convo-ing Roxana on Etsy and telling her about my fascination with weeds, she shared with me this quote --

"What is a weed? I have heard it said that there are sixty definitions. For me, a weed is a plant out of place." -Donald Culross Peattie

So a thank you to Roxana, because that inspired me to search for more "weed quotes". The one I used for the title of this post was my favorite I found, here are some more I discovered while searching --

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them." - A.A. Milne (author, of course, of Winnie-the-Pooh)

"What we call is a weed is in fact merely a plant growing where we do not want it." -E.J. Salisbury

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now, some of my photographs of said "weeds";








And one last quote, which is especially thought-provoking;

"Man is the only critter who feels the need to label things as flowers or weeds." -Unknown

♥ kelsey.

(P.S. I have a bunch more photos I took recently, of little blossoms, bushes, leaves, etc, which I will share later! This post was focused on the forgotten weeds.)

8 comments:

Illuminated Perfume May 8, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

Absolutely stunning Kelsey!

Anonymous May 8, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

How pretty Kelsey. I love weeds :)

ScentScelf May 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

Hmmm...I've just travelled backwards through a couple posts...started with Eve and her mustard...glad to see someone finding the beauty in the weed. Unfortunately, I do believe I repeated some of your sentiment, for variations on "a weed is just a plant you don't want" have haunted me since my grandfather first said that when I was a child.

I've tried to harvest some dandelions for salad in this spirit...and enjoyed your beautiful photographs as part of the same.

Flora May 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

Very pretty and thought-provoking, Kelsey!

Flora (Donna)

Dennice {Fringe} May 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

I'm utterly and completely in love with this post. Thank you for focusing on the "forgotten" flower, weeds. I think it's a very symbolic post.

To me, it's ultimately about compassion. Appreciating weeds, spills over into the person as a whole. Someone who can admire, love, appreciate weeds, is a person who looks at life in a very beautiful and caring way.

Thank you for being you!

xo
Dennice

Candy May 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

I absolutely love these photos! ^^
I love dandelions ... they're my favourite.

boots May 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

i love this! so great! weeds make the best bouquets

Alice Waarvik May 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

That first photo is amazing! I love the tiny little flowers on it. My kids are addicted to "weeds" and are always picking them for me.

Post a Comment

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥