Saturday, July 18, 2009

Words to live by.

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours".

I love that quote, and I hope it's one that can really make you think. Something so simple like that can really brighten up someone's day.

You never know what someone else is going through, what demons they are battling. I think with everything I've been through in recent years, it has become a goal of mine to help out others who are struggling.

Making jewelry is all fine and dandy, but sometimes it just seems so trivial... I really admire those who are out there making a difference in the lives of others and I hope someday I can be counted among them.

I am also amazed at the kindness of "strangers", i.e. the Twitter friends, blog readers, and fellow Etsy sellers who are always eager to share some encouragement or a little smile. I can post on Twitter that I just sold a new locket necklace and I'm guaranteed to get a few "Congratulations!", or "Wow, that's amazing!". Or I can write a blog post about my grandmother and be flooded with kind words and comments, each one making me shed a little tear at the thoughtfulness.

It's kind of funny actually, (not funny haha, but funny ironic) because I may post these same things on my Facebook page, where "real life" friends can see them all as well. It never fails though that I get the most responses from my internet pals.

And as I said before, I think with everything I've been through, I am always trying to help others feel better, you know, share that little smile. If I see on Twiter or FB a sad status, I'll ask them if they are okay. I've been there, and I know I wanted someone to ask me if I was okay. Sometimes that's why you post those things, you want someone to read it and ask you, or tell you that it's all going to be alright. Sometimes that's all you need, just a little reassurance that you're not alone.

And it is odd that my "real life" friends don't always express it the way my internet friends do, but someone explained it to me recently. He said that in certain situations, people might not know how to react, so they simply say nothing. But the Twitter or Etsy friends, they have nothing to gain by saying nothing. Those kind of friendships are still new and reacting to the situation or posting a comment is a way of reaching out and building that friendship.

So anyways, just wanted to say "thanks" to anyone who is reading this, and to let you know I appreciate all the nice comments, convos, e-mails, and @ replies. And I also wanted to remind you all of that quote, you really never know what is going on in someone's life or what they're dealing with. And I hope that I be can as nice to others as some have been to me. That'll be my goal, to make things even just a little easier for someone else. Encouragement and reassurance are always nice...

I also challenge you all to do the same! Let me know how it goes ;)

♥ kelsey.

3 comments:

twostraycats July 18, 2009 at 3:53 AM  

What a lovely post and beautifully written ~ It'll be the last thing that I read tonight before turning off the light and going to bed ~ words to live by!

Goodnight :)

Lily

S and O July 18, 2009 at 4:54 PM  

Wow nearly made me cry, it's so true. Even when you think you know exactly how someone feels, you don't really and I appreciate you reminding us all of that and encouraging everyone to just be there for one an another:)

Amanda Fall - Sprout editor July 19, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

Thanks for the fantastic reminder to reach out...I doubt we'd ever regret doing so. Being kind to someone else can NEVER hurt us in the long run!

And I agree with you--I've had some of my most positive experiences with Internet buddies. I wonder if it's easier to express ourselves here, where it feels less vulnerable. Interesting. Anyway, great post!

Post a Comment

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥