Saturday, October 3, 2009

Antiquing brass.




So! I have been super busy antiquing my own brass!

I had a bunch of raw brass pieces that I really wanted to darken, and had been putting off trying it out for a few months... I thought I didn't have the materials necessary, but I did some Googling and found a few simple ways to oxidize brass!

It's pretty fun actually :) Like a science experiment! haha. I'm mainly using heat to antique the brass, and I think it's going pretty well :) Although I did manage to burn (lightly!) a couple fingers, haha. Oh well, you have to suffer for your art! ;)

Here's my first ring that I've listed that used this process! What do you think? :)

I really like this because it's solid brass, unlike "antique brass" which is plating over a basemetal. And this raw brass (the starting point) is nickel freeeee!! yay!

You can see the ring in the SHOP!

7 comments:

paperpocket October 4, 2009 at 5:21 AM  

oh flower rings have been an obsession of mine since i first saw the disney version of robin hood.... It's sooo pretty!

xoxo

Anonymous October 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

gorgeous! nice job!

Erica October 6, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

so pretty!

look at you! you're such a scientist. haha

Lucia October 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

the flower looks real...so beautiful <3

Dylana Suarez October 8, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

This is the cutest ring ever! Love it!


Lovely blog!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Emily October 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

That's awesome. I checked out your etsy shop, too. All your pieces are so delicate and beautiful but my favorite is the butterfly necklace.

Robin October 27, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

I loved this ring so much I bopped over to your Etsy to check it out. I can't believe it's so reasonably priced! Daisies are my favorite flower, and when people ask me why, I always recite the same quote you have in their description. I am completely sold! I'm going to have to buy them off you. :)

Post a Comment

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥